Monday, June 14, 2010

Unbelievable! June 13, 2009

O.K. After the Queen left, more people started to pack in. It turns out what I saw was only the first part of the event. The Queen and her family went to Westminster for a Celebration and Blessing Service.

An hour later, the Queen and the ENTIRE Royal Family came back! Everyone except the Queen disappeared into the Palace. The Queen stayed outside by the gates to review the troops. She's quite a trooper! She about 83 years old, I believe. Next, she went into the Palace and then they all started coming out onto that famous balcony. It's the same balcony where Diana and Charles shared that awkward kiss after their wedding. We all, the Queen and William and I, stood there and watched an incredible military flyby. The beautiful horses came back, the band played, more soldiers in even more outrageous uniforms marched around, and the reserved, understated English whooped and hollered! I took 172 pictures!!! Thank goodness for digital cameras.

Next, I took a tour of Apsley House which was given to the Duke of Wellington by a grateful nation. It is right next door to the entrance to Hyde Park. I wasn't sure if it would be worth it, but I paid extra to go up into the Wellington Arch. While I was up their innocently taking some pictures, a NAKED bike race came by!!! I'm not kidding! There must have been 500 people in various levels of nakedness riding through Hyde Park and down Constitution Hill. This would never happen in Fort Worth! I'm not sure it would happen in New York. I took a few pictures of that, too.

What a day!

Sherrie

P.S. This day reminded me of that famous quote, "When one is tired of London, one is tired of life."








The entire Royal Family















The bobby who offered to buy me a pint!

















Everyone had a good time.


















The entrance to Hyde Park.









 







The Naked Bike Race!!!!!

No comments: